As we go on, we remember, all the times we've had together

4:30 AM. I awoke at the crack of dawn on Friday, 6/18 for Sing-Chung Elementary School's sixth grade and kindergarten graduation. Dragging my tired body, I had just been to 劍湖山 the day before and suffered a serious sunburn on my shoulder, to Kaohsiung train station, I met my friends who looked equally tired. After a bumpy two and a half hour bus ride, we roamed into familiar ground. The village of Bao Lai was half awake and two cars waited to take us back to Sing-Chung Elementary School. It seemed only yesterday that we left the cozy little school that had made so many memories for the Happy Campers.


The Happy Campers back at Sing-Chung elementary school

Mud wrestlers from local villages

Local shaman doing his thang

The ceremony consisted of a very well made "music video" of the children singing 手牽手 in remembrance of the damages of Typhoon Morakot. Next, local dignitaries and mountain officials rambled on and on about "giving back to the community", "the importance of education" blah blah. The ceremony was not particularly short, but still very sweet. I especially liked the dances performed by the first graders and kindergarteners. Chubby little children just kill me (:


The 6th graders receiving their diplomas


The well decorated auditorium

Just the night before I got into an argument with my mom because I was being an IDIOT. Sorry Mom! I almost passed up the trip into the mountains, but I felt like this was one event I couldn't pass up. It was an honor to attend this graduation and see our little friends move on into the next chapter of their lives. How many more graduations will they attend? We Happy Campers are moving on to universities and perhaps grad schools, but when does the road of education stop for these children? We moan about homework and tests, but is that worse than dropping out of school to work in 7-11? I think not. I wish the sixth going on seventh graders the best!

留言

張貼留言